Jobseekers are faced with many challenges during their hunt for a job. In the first instance they need to find jobs that are available which is usually through job boards, such as Careers in the UK. Once they have located the jobs that they are interested in they need to apply which usually involves providing a CV (and possibly a cover letter) to a potential employer. Next comes the dreaded interview process which will hopefully end in an offer being made by a new employer!
- Ensure that your CV is formatted in a presentable manner
- Always amend your CV to fit the advertised job more tightly
- Have several versions of your CV to suit different companies better
- Check and recheck your CV for spelling and grammar mistakes
- Keep your CV brief and precise
- Try to write your CV in a clear 1st person or from a 3rd person perspective
- Dress formally. Men should wear a suit and tie
- Prepare, prepare, prepare! Find out as much as possible about the company before the interview
- Prepare plenty of questions to ask the interviewer about the job, the company and the company culture
- Do not discuss the salary or benefits unless the interviewer initiates the conversation
- Provide 3-5 key points on what you can bring to the role
- Be honest
Following the CV and interview guidelines above will hopefully conclude in a job offer being made. Jobseekers will become new employees of the company that they want to work for.